Green tea is not only pleasant to drink, but it offers many health benefits as well.
Green tea differs from other teas because it is the least processed tea, and therefore, it contains more antioxidants than black or oolong tea. Green tea is consumed all over the world, and in some cultures, it is even considered medicine, and with good reason.
Here are just a few of the most impressive ways that drinking green tea, particularly a good quality organic green tea can benefit you.
- It fights cancer. Because green tea is minimally processed, its medicinal compounds remain intact and are able to help fight diseases, such as cancer. The most potent anti-oxidant found in green tea, and the one thought to destroy malignant cancer cells, is a catechin polyphenol called epigallocatechin gallate, also known as EGCG. Researchers from the Department of Biochemistry, University of Texas Health Science Center, performed a study on mice with tumors. In the abstract of that study, published in the journal Frontiers in Bioscience in 2008, they state, “our data suggest that EGCG inhibits pancreatic cancer growth, invasion, metastasis and angiogenesis, and thus could be used for the management of pancreatic cancer prevention and treatment.” Pancreatic cancer is just one of the many types of cancer that EGCG has shown promise in treating.
- It promotes weight loss. The catechins in green tea are not only helpful in fighting cancer, but they help the body burn fat as well. In a Japanese study at the Department of Animal Science at Shizuoka University, researchers fed green tea powder to mice for sixteen weeks and observed the changes in their bodies and habits. The researchers noted that the mice fed the powder ate less, gained less weight, and accumulated less fat in their bodies than mice in the control group. This led researchers to conclude that green tea may be effective in reducing body weight.
- It stabilizes blood sugar. Green tea may be helpful in preventing blood sugar spikes, which is advantageous for everyone, but for diabetics in particular. According to the Pacific College of Oriental Medicine, “Diabetes, which is even more common than high blood pressure, can actually be kept under control by consuming green tea. Starch in any form is converted into sugar, and this is done with the help of an enzyme called amylase. The polyphenols present in green tea extract reduce the amount of amylase produced; thus, the levels of sugar in the blood also decrease.”
- It reduces your risk of developing cardiovascular disease. The antioxidants in green tea help lower LDL (bad) cholesterol, and help increase HDL (good) cholesterol. They also improve artery function. According to a study published in the 2006 issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), “drinking green tea lowers the risk of death due to all causes, including cardiovascular disease.” The researchers demonstrated that women who drank five or more cups of green tea a day had a 31% lower risk of dying from cardiovascular disease than women who drank less than one cup of green tea per day. Likewise, men who drank five or more cups of green tea per day had a 22% lower risk of dying from cardiovascular disease than men who drank less than one cup of green tea per day.
- It increases your energy level without giving you the jitters. Green tea does have caffeine, but unlike coffee, drinking a large mug of it will not give you that nervous, jumpy feeling. This is because green tea contains the amino acid L-theanine, which has a calming effect. However, like coffee, green tea helps promote mental clarity, so to boost your brainpower as well as your health, feel free to indulge in a cup when the mood strikes you.
Adding Assamica Agro's organic green tea to your diet is an inexpensive way to help prevent disease, maintain a healthy weight, and keep your energy levels up. You can reap significant benefits just by drinking a few cups a day. For those people who are just starting to drink green tea, Assamica Agro's green tea could be the right choice because it's very smooth and one of the best green tea available in India as per as the taste as well as quality is concerned.
For maximum effectiveness, allow our loose leaf green tea to steep for three to five minutes, and drink freshly brewed tea. Decaffeinated teas, bottled teas, and instant teas have less of the beneficial antioxidant compounds than a freshly brewed cup. So turn on your teapot, boil some water, and get ready to drink your way to good health for just pennies a day!